Skip to content

The Nightstand

April 24, 2011

I finished the first nightstand.  I have two but I decided to do them one at a time, even though it would take longer.  That way if there was something I did wrong or something I didn’t like, I would just correct myself with the next one.  I’m glad I did, as well, because there will be a few things I do differently.

I kept as many receipts as I could remember to, so I can keep track of what I’ve spent.  I haven’t added them up yet though because some of the supplies are for both nightstands, and I still have a few things to buy, namely the knobs, for the second.

So here it is:

The Old

The New:

Lessons learned include the fact that I hate working with oil paint, and I should run wood fill over the entire piece, and not just the largest holes.  I did this to one side because it had so many crevices, and it looks better than any of the other surfaces.  Also, I hate working with oil paint.

I choose oil, because the wood is soft – some kind of pine – and I wanted to have a harder surface.  I knew the oil would get hard.  Also, we don’t always run the A/C.  We like the natural air, even it means we have to be warmer sometimes.  As the summer gets hotter we will use it, but for at least six months out of the year the humid air will circulate.  I didn’t want latex paint to stay sticky all the time, especially the top where we put everything.  In the end I know I made the right choice, but it was a pain to clean the really nice paint brush I had bought.  I think on the next one I’ll exchange extra smoothness for the ability to throw away the paint brush in the end.

The three knobs were the cheapest one available at Home Depot – two dollars a piece.  The top one was more expensive at five dollars, but I love it.  They are all satin nickel in finish, in case the photo doesn’t show that.

The most enjoyable part for me was taking the lacquer off, and sanding it down.  You can see the difference in the before and after here.  

I filled in the holes before priming with wood fill.  Sanding down the fill took time, but the results were fantastic in the end.  Like I said, I’ll be doing even more with the next one. Here’s a photo of the fill.

After that the whole thing took very little time, though there was a lot of drying time.  I primed it with two coats, sanded down the second coat and then added two oil paint layers to finish it off.  Measuring the position to put the knobs was nerve-wracking because one wrong calculation and I had to redo the whole thing.  Luckily, I did it all right the first time.

I’m very happy with it, and I’m looking forward to doing the other one soon.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. April 24, 2011 4:31 pm

    It looks fantastic! I hate oil paint, too, but you really can’t beat the results. It’s soooo easy to clean (when it’s dry).

    By the way, do you have a paint comb thingy? I’m not sure what they’re called, but it’s like a metal-toothed comb and you use it to help clean the paintbrush. GREAT tool, saves me lots of time.

  2. April 24, 2011 7:44 pm

    It looks fabulous! I like your choice of knobs. Much more contemporary. You can probably sell the old ones on etsy. I buy hardware there all the time, all though I usually get older hardware, Victorian era and early 1900’s. That will recoup some of your expense.

    Oil paint is a pain. I didn’t know about it being harder though. The plush foam looking brushes work well and can be less money but I don’t know if you can use them with oil paint.

  3. Carrie permalink
    May 23, 2011 4:42 pm

    I wouldn’t have even recognized it from the original! Looks great!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: