Skip to content

DIY Cheese Board

July 6, 2012

So. Darn. Easy. I had originally wanted to go to the local architectural salvage place in West Palm Beach, but I realized that I wouldn’t make it out there in time for a party that I was hosting, so I went with Plan B – a quick trip to Home Depot. They had only one type of hardwood (red oak). I recommend hardwood – walnut is best I’ve read. I don’t recommend pine.  I knew I wanted to make two just in case one utterly failed, so I bought 18″ of a 1 x 10 and 26″ inches of a 1 x 8. They ended up giving me a scrap piece of 1 x 8 that was roughly six inches long, and I paid a little over 6 bucks for all three pieces.

Items I needed, but already had:

  • Jigsaw
  • Sander (80 grit and 220 grit)
  • Wet Cloth with extra water for re-wetting
  • A clamp for the table
  • Cutting board oil ($8 at Home Depot)

I made the pattern for the handle with a pencil, clamped the board to the table (with the portion I wanted to cut sticking out), and fired up the jigsaw. I used a blade for precision cutting, since my curve had a small radius.  After cutting out the handles, I began sanding with the 80 grit. I sanded down the hard corners into nice rounded edges and got rid of the pen marks. I sanded and I sanded and…

Then my trusty sander broke. Boo.

Back to Home Depot with a sad face. The guys and gals there are so nice and usually know what they are talking about. I know we’re suppose to hate big box stores, but I’ve always gotten great service there. They even gave me a discount on a new sander, which they didn’t have to do.

After finishing with the 80 grit, I started sanding with the 220 grit. This makes a smooth finish that almost feels like glass if you are patient enough. I smoothed off the edges until it felt good in my hands and then I wiped off the boards with a very wet cloth…

PANIC!!!!!!!!

My nice smooth-as-glass finish became a horrible splintery mess in seconds. I freaked out. None of the DIY blogs I had read had mentioned this little event. Did I miss this? I don’t know. After getting off the DIY blogs and on to the woodworking websites, I discovered that this was to be expected. Wetting it a few times and sanding down afterwards would keep it smooth and useable.

After finishing off my sanding, I added two coats of very warm oil to the boards and let them dry. The end result is above and below – three warm, rich looking boards that will look fantastic at my party on Saturday.

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. July 7, 2012 12:10 am

    Pretty cool, Angela.

  2. September 14, 2012 3:25 pm

    I love this idea and very economical! The boards look great!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: